Wednesday 1 August 2012

Pretty Little Liars - yet another series which has consumed all free time I get


These four beauties pictured above, have replaced the likes of Blair and Serena/Marissa and Summer/many others and are the subjects of my main current obsession. 'Pretty Little Liars' was first aired in the UK in October 2010, and the promos shown on Viva which led up to the show's premiere drew me in so much! They are here if you would like to watch them - I challenge anyone to be able to resist the temptations of watching the TV show afterwards. I have been completely hooked on the show ever since I first watched it, and now that Desperate Housewives has ended *sob sob*, it has been satisfying my craving for mystery and horror combined with good old classic teen drama.
I didn't find out until a few months ago that the programme was actually based on a book series, which, as an avid reader, I was surprised not to have heard of before. Of course as soon as I heard this news, I had to run out and buy a copy of the first book (actually I just ran to the computer and went onto Amazon and ordered it). The books are perfect for some light reading in the summer, and Sara Shephard, the author, does a great job at keeping the suspense going in the novels. I read the first one in about a week, and after a long draught from reading due to exams and school work, I have recently been able to resume my reading habits. I bought the second book in the series - 'Flawless' - on my kindle, and read it within 3 days! The books aren't difficult to read, but the cliffhangers at the end of each chapter kept me hooked on the book, and meant that I literally did not put it down. It is a little confusing simultaneously reading the books and watching the TV show, I must admit, as they are at completely different points in the story. But I am certainly not prepared to put either one on hold anytime soon because they bring me so much joy.
In terms of difference in storyline, I know I have only read the first two books, but I have already noticed a lot of changes. One book spans across the equivalent of about 4-5 episodes, and there has been some correlation between the books and the programme, but as I previously mentioned, there are some large differences which alter the entire story.
Nonetheless, both formats of the story are equally as thrilling and addictive as each other in my eyes, and I would certainly recommend both the books and the TV programme to anyone who is a fan of other similar teen dramas such as Gossip Girl, The OC, Desperate Housewives (not so much teen, but still applicable).
I am off to watch the most recent episode now!



No comments:

Post a Comment