Friday 31 January 2014

Back to the norms










Jeans - Topshop Joni jeans
Jacket - Topshop 
Bag - River Island (very old!)
T-shirt - Cocaine & Caviar
Frilly socks - Urban Outfitters
Shoes - Underground Creepers 
Chain - eBay (similar)
Lips - Rimmel Colour Rush Balm in Rumour Has It

This was my 'first day back to uni' outfit for this semester. I wanted something pretty comfy so naturally I went for my trusty joni jeans. These are seriously one of the best purchases I have ever made. I have never had such a good-fitting pair of jeans. I am usually a UK size 6/8 in most clothes - skirts, dresses, tops - but due to my rather disproportionately large derriere I often have problems buying shorts and jeans/trousers. I think it's also because I have fairly wide hips compared to my waist. Anyway, I have never found any jeans which are as comfortable and flattering as these. The material is very stretchy, and slightly thinner than normal denim. I suppose you would call them jeggings, but I cannot bear to use that word as it just conjures awful thoughts of those denim-printed 'jeggings' which were inexplicably popular a couple of years ago. These babies suck everything in, without making you feel like you can't breathe. High-waisted jeans were never something I thought I'd suit/wear, but I actually love how much these accentuate the waist, and of course it's always a bonus that they make the old pins look quite a bit longer!
I always love a casual grey tee with any denim, so this old favourite made an appearance again. The jacket is a fairly recent purchase. I'd seen it in about the beginning of December and tried it on just for fun, with no intention of buying it. I fell in love with the detachable fur collar, the quilted sleeves and the fit. I then sadly put it back on the hanger and woefully departed the shop. When returning to Swansea in the beginning of January I was of course ecstatic to see that it had gone into the sale! WOOHOO. Student loan was in, I was a very happy girl. However I must say that it really bothered me to see that the same jacket in TALL sizes was reduced to £15 less than mine was. Size discrimination! But I love it all the same, and I think that £45 for a gorgeous piece like this is pretty reasonable. My oldest leather jacket - I've literally had it since I was about 14 - is still going strong and has had a lot of wear, but it has begun to lose its shape a bit, so I was very happy to invest in a new one.
The black and gold River Island bag is an old favourite. I think I've actually had it for about 2/3 years now! It was my school bag for either Year 12 or 13, I can't remember. Either way, it's doing very well. I always find myself going back to it for days when I am wearing black with gold jewellery just to tie the outfit together.
Unfortunately the photos are fairly washed out, meaning that you can't really see the adorable shoe/sock combo. I bought these socks a couple of months ago when I was making an Urban Outfitters order. I saw them and couldn't resist the cuteness. I think it is absolutely ridiculous to pay £6 for one pair of socks but I am a sucker for frills poking out of creepers, or any other shoes for that matter!
This is my first outfit post, but I hope to do many more like this. Hopefully when the weather cheers up a bit (if that ever happens) I can find some more exciting locations. I am fantasizing about summer shots on the beach(!) but that wouldn't be for a few months anyway. This is Swansea, the UK's wettest city. Wonderful. I do bloody love living here though.

P.S. Apologies for my awkward expressions and sometimes grimace-like faces. I think I need to get used to being photographed in this way!
P.P.S Thank you very much to my lovely housemate Sian for taking these pictures :)

Hope you enjoyed!
x

No comments:

Post a Comment